Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Photo Number 551

Well this is a group photo to begin a month long series of wedding photographs.  What better month to do that in than June.  I was not married in June, but both of my daughters were.

DL Large Wedding Photo

DL Large Wedding Photo

Wedding dresses were often black or dark colors from the years 1880 to 1900.  Many women chose a dark colored dress, it could be worn again, and it wouldn’t show the dirt.  She may wear a special wedding bonnet (headpiece and veil) as a keepsake of her special day, but her dress was practical.   I read someplace that she would wear the dress for special occasions and gatherings throughout the first year, just so all her friends could see it again.

I have had a blast collecting all these old wedding photos, I have more than plenty for the month of June, with a few left over.  This photo came from the Antique Shop in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota. I think it may be from around 1900.

Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

5 comments:

  1. That is quite the headpiece she is wearing! This will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the old folks seated in chairs up front, the violinist, and the couple holding up a baby on the far right!

    :)

    30 plus wedding pictures huh? This should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.s., Thank you for changing your comments to a pop-up! I'm happy I can comment again! :)

    P.s.s., I really like that photo of the woman on the far left in your header. Each time I see her I wish I could have met her. Of course, she's so beautiful, she would have left me stammering incoherently...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard of that tradition before now. It was practical to wear the dress as often as possible to remember the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. om my,you can tell who's related to who by the "
    wing nuts" lol

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie