Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Full Circle 13

I find it quite fitting that our thirteenth full circle was a really lucky one, one out of the blue,  one of those it was meant to be things!
I was contacted by email after this photo was featured.
Hair thingys
Hello!
My sister sent me a link to your Photo #377…. and we think it is our Grandmother, Julia Formella Lanzel. I have attached a photo of her. What do you think? She lived in La Crosse, Wisconsin. She passed away a few years ago, in her 90’s. She was quite a character. Wondering where you acquired the photo. Thanks for posting.
Regards, Charlene
JuliaFormellaLanzel Julia Formella Lanzel
I wrote back saying that the photo was purchased at an Antique Shop in Dorset, Minnesota or at a garage sale in Park Rapids, Minnesota.  I told her that I thought it was a match and that I would like to feature her old photo on my blog and let the readers give their opinion.  The next day I wrote a blog post called Second Look at Photo 377.

Hi Connie,
Thanks for getting back to me! Go ahead and use my picture on your blog.
The more I look at this photo, the more I know it is my Grandmother, Julia Formella. When my sister Katie first saw the photo she said she got goose bumps! I just contacted one of Julia’s daughters, my Aunt Betty, and she also thinks it is her mother. She thinks Julia was about 16 when this photo was taken. Julia was born in 1909, so that means the photo was probably taken around 1925. She had family in St. Paul, so I can see how the photo ended up in Northern MN. Julia was very “fetching” and married my Grandfather, Anthony Lanzel, when she was just 17. He was much older (35)… and a friend of her Father. They had 12 children together, and 44 grandchildren. She loved fishing at her boathouse on the Mississippi River and was famous for her Friday night “happy hours” at home with her family in La Crosse, WI.
I had never seen your blog before… but now I am a big fan! I’ll be checking back.
Charlene


Then she wrote again after she received the photo!

Hello Connie,
Thanks so much for sending me Photo #377. It is beautiful, and it sure was fun for our family to compare with the photo of my Grandmother over the Thanksgiving holiday. As a portrait artist, who is accustomed to scrutinizing features, I do not see any differences in the features. The teeth would be a dead giveaway... and they are a match. I am convinced it's my Grandmother Julia. Most of the people who have seen the two photos also think it's a match. Of course, there are a few who disagree. I guess there will never be a way to know if it is our Julia for sure, but thanks for an interesting addition to our family history!



Warm Regards, Charlene


I am always thrilled to reunite a family with an old photo..and this was one that I never expected to go anyplace. The journey back to family was certainly meant to be, and I was happy to be a part of it.

Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

Update from Katie:
Hello, I am Charlene's sister, the one who first saw the photo. I happened to be looking for a different blog and saw your site featured on Blogspot. Since I love old photos I thought I would pop over and see what this site was about. Like Charlene said, when I saw the familiar eyes of my Grandma, I got goosebumps! What are the chances of coming to a site that I have never been to before and have a relative featured on that day?!?!? It is a special treat to have this photo to add to our family history. I am glad to have been a part of the "reunion". I look forward to enjoying many more of your photos from the past.

24 comments:

  1. How wonderful! As you say, this was just meant to be. I am thrilled for the family and thrilled for your success in this endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange things happen. I am so surprised that some old pictures has so much in it! A person's face can bring you the whole story and much information. Beutiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Very nice - I really enjoyed reading what Charlene had to say! Goodness. 12 children and she had Friday evening parties!? Imagine the energy this woman had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. People definately had more life in them in the good old days. This woman definately appears to posses some spunk. So glad it found its place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Connie on another great connection! I loved hearing about Julia and I agree with Charlene that the teeth were an unmistakable match! What an interesting Thanksgiving it must have been for the family!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pictures are so alive. Thank you, for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read several of your "reunited" posts, but this one really gave me goosebumps. I don't know why, but I think this one is special. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on another connection! Love what you're doing with this blog, keep it up!

    http://freudsmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super story.
    I hope Charlene could share some images of her grandmother so we can see how she aged through the years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Connie what a great story! I am really proud of you and the success of this project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent work. Congratulations on a great site.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful lucky 13!

    And I say it IS the one and the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful story with a wonderful ending for a wonderful picture.

    WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great story! Keep up the good work!

    http://ernzbug.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, I am Charlene's sister, the one who first saw the photo. I happened to be looking for a different blog and saw your site featured on Blogspot. Since I love old photos I thought I would pop over and see what this site was about. Like Charlene said, when I saw the familiar eyes of my Grandma, I got goosebumps! What are the chances of coming to a site that I have never been to before and have a relative featured on that day?!?!? It is a special treat to have this photo to add to our family history. I am glad to have been a part of the "reunion". I look forward to enjoying many more of your photos from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katie..What are the chances..it was clearly meant to be..as I have had that photo since last summer:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. There’s defiantly a lot of great tips here I’m going to try to be more aware of.I am glad to post my views and points in this blog, Blogs are becoming the main source of knowing about things certainty!Its an informative topic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It seems to be a spot on match to me!! I love what you do on your blog and with your life! It is so great to know that doing something you love can have such a positive effect on others' lives!

    http://callmelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie