Sunday, January 17, 2010

Full Circle Number One


Yesterday I received a letter in the mail.  It was written on pink patchwork quilted paper.  It was written by Virginia who is the daughter of  Della in Photo Number Seventy. 

Secor, Il.  Jan 11, 2010
Michael came to my house today with the picture of my Mother (thank-you so much)  I said "the face is familiar but I can't tell who it is."  I was apalled when he told me who is was!! Of course this was way before my time.  It is a small world afterall..


Mom was born and raised in the Sterling area and had beautiful auburn hair.  Her family later moved to Decatur and I don't know how she finally my my Dad. 


I am 87 years old and when I was 9 or 10 or somewhere in that age group Mom and I and a sister and husband drove to South Dakota to visit a relative who lived in a "sod house" by the name of Katie Purcul. It was quite an adventure and took a long time to get there, as there weren't cars then like today- believe me we didn't go 65 miles an hour. 


Michael seems to really enjoy this genealogy thing he has gotten into and seems very sincere in his efforts.  His Mother was a long time friend and cousin.  Michael plowed out my driveway a few days ago after seven inches of snow.  Bet you got more-I do shovel but at 20 or so minute intervals.  That shoveling is a killer you know. 
Thanks again for the picture. I wish you many blessings in the new year.  Many wishes, Virginia 


Needless to say, I was thrilled to receive this letter!  It is the first photo that has gone full circle!!  I owe many thanks to my friend and fellow blogger Abra for her help!  We did it..together!!
Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

7 comments:

  1. Wow - what an incredible story. Many thanks to all of you who made the discovery to lead to a happy ending for the original photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I can still shovel snow at the age of 87. Wow, what a great find and to get a letter from this daughter. It is so interesting, sod house and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful gift for Virginia to receive, and what a lovely letter she wrote. I am so happy I was able to help. Now I am curious about Katie Purcul and how she may fit with some of the others. This has been such fun, and I do hope others will be connected.

    I have been busy with some family matters, so haven't had time to do much checking lately. I'll have to play catch up when I get caught up with life! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that is so fulfilling isn't it? All that hard work you are doing, and then to have such a sweet letter.

    Congrats.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful1 Please feel free to give out any of my information to this man, Perhaps I could find out where this Ms Purcel lived, if in this area, tho' most of our old timers are gone. But I would make some calls and might be able to find something out at the courthouse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if Katie Purcel is connected to any of the other photos. Connie I sent you an email at your addy in your profile. Hope to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the photo comes alive with that info!

    This is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie