Saturday, December 11, 2010

Full Circle 14

unknown photo jgk
Photo Number 383 now has a name “Nellie”
This is a photo that blog reader Joan from North Carolina found behind another photo in a second hand shop. Iggy was instrumental in finding a connection.  I forwarded the information onto Joan..and the photo was returned to family! 
Joan shared this with me:
I wanted to let you know that Mike Schofield emailed me this morning and said he and his family believe the photo is of Nellie Vetter, who married Leopold Vilsack in 1895.  The Schofield family is descended through Pauline..who was one of Nellies daughters.    Happy ending! ( Mike is a Great Grandson of Nellie)
This is the research info:
unknown photo back jgk
Joseph G Vilsack's brother, Leopold W Vilsack was born in Pittsburgh February 6 1872. Mr Vilsack is a jeweler by trade and was in the jewelry business in Fifth Avenue, New York for 18 years starting in 1893. His early education was obtained at St Augustine's parochial school of Pittsburgh and in Holy Cross College. He then served an apprenticeship at his trade after which he went into business. He married Nellie M Vetter, daughter of John Vetter and wife on October 6, 1895. Their children are Leo (b. Jul 1896), Virginia (b. Feb 1898), Pauline, Mercedes (1903-2000) and Robert.
William J. Schofield Jr. (b. Feb 1898) and Pauline Vilsack married. Mercedes does not appear to have married.



Yes,  indeed another photo found it’s way home!  Thanks to Pam for sharing this old photo and to Iggy for his sleuthing skills!


Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

September 12, 2012 Update From Patricia:
Thank you for posting the photo of Nellie Vetter Vilsack, my great grandmother. Daughter Virginia was my grandmother; Nellie had a fourth daughter, Genevieve. A small correction: Leopold Vilsack was a jeweler on Fifth Avenue in Pittsburgh, not New York.

15 comments:

  1. Your work in reuniting old photographs with their relatives illustrates a unique property of the internet. Well done to you and all your contacts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work again!

    Norkio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work!
    Love these little stories. I smell a coffee table book in the works. Don't forget the little people on your way up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah to you and Iggy and Joan. So wonderful to see a photo reunited with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I highly doubt my family would ever be reunited with old pictures through this blogg since our family doesn't know much about its history, but I LOVE reading these happy ending stories. :)They brighten my day (or night depending!) Keep up what you do because it is WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh.. Nellie. You know, I never thought it might be Leo's wife!

    Hee hee.. I feel like I know the family well enough to call Leopold, "Leo". :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah!! Another reunion. Kudos Connie, Pam, & Iggy. Iggy, I know what you mean about knowing the family well..sometimes, when a case takes a lot of sleuthing, it seems like we sometimes find out more details than even some family members know. ~Abra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Iggy, I didn't think that the time frame was right for it to be Nellie either, especially with the conflicting dates of the Opening of the Photo Studio ..but I have to go with what the family says:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for posting the photo of Nellie Vetter Vilsack, my great grandmother. Daughter Virginia was my grandmother; Nellie had a fourth daughter, Genevieve. A small correction: Leopold Vilsack was a jeweler on Fifth Avenue in Pittsburgh, not New York.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Patricia I will add the info to the photo. Thanks for the comment! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie