Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Photo Number 565

This is a photo from the Antique Shop in Park Rapids, Minnesota. ( My favorite Antique Shop will be closing soon, Linda is selling off her inventory and has the building up for sale, I have spent many hours in her shop and I will miss going there.)

Pr Antiques Wedding 1904 to 1906almost matching dresses

Wilkins was the photographer, he was in and out of business in Park Rapids from 1904 to 1906 often with a partner.

I think that this may have been a double wedding.  The dresses are almost the same (the brides dress has lacy sleeves), and the corsages and boutonnieres are the same.  The men have different ties.  I can imagine them posing for this photo and the bride handing off the wedding bonnet to her bridesmaid for her photo.  Furthermore I think that the bride and the groomsman are brother and sister and the groom and the bridesmaid are brother and sister. ( It might just be my imagination.)

The women's dresses have the “pigeon breasted look” that was popular from 1900 to 1910.

Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

6 comments:

  1. I always wonder why they don't smile as much in the older pictures could be they are just uncomfortable and didn't know what to do. Because the bride with the veil looks unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always sad when a favorite shop goes out of business. I know you'll miss Linda's.

    Love this photo and your ideas. Mildred

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great concocting stories in our imagination of what the story was behind the photo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bride (in the middle) has a look that says "Get this photo right, or else!" look to me.

    :)

    Iggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are dress alike, but there is just one veil. I love the history you've created for them. I'll go with that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's interesting, in ancient weddings the bride's maids were dressed similarly to the bride to confuse other suitors' tribes, the groom and evil spirits. A veil was worn to ensure that no one backed out on arranged marriages where they met the bride at the alter. I don't know when the notion of dressing the bride's maids similarly came into modern fashion.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie