Monday, February 16, 2015

Full Circle 107

This is a Full Circle that started on Ancestry…went through Craig and then to me.

Craigs  Leon G Lewis Number 1760

Photo Number 1760  Leon G. Lewis

Craig mailed me a whole box of photos a few years ago and some have been finding their way home.

Hi Connie -

I am writing you today because I emailed Craig  concerning a photo of a Leon G Lewis. This photo Craig he posted to Ancestry.com and Craig sent me the following reply to my email:

Yes, I am TreePuzzler on Ancestry, and by July 2012 I had placed something like a third of the scanned "orphan" photos with their families.  Then I shipped all my remaining orphan photos to Connie, who blogs on the subject at:

http://forgottenoldphotos.blogspot.com/

Connie recently posted this photo at:

http://forgottenoldphotos.blogspot.com/2014/11/photo-number-1760.html

I recommend that you contact Connie and ask her if she's willing send you the original.

Thanks for posting this picture Connie, this is very thoughtful of you.

I believe this could well be my grand-father. The picture back has "To Aunt Nellie". Leon's mother had an older sister named Cornelia which could be shortened to "Nellie". Do you know where this picture was found? Please let me know what else you know about the picture.

FYI, Leon's tree is posted in FamilySearch: https://familysearch.org/tree/#view=tree&person=KG65-H59&section=pedigree

Thank you! David

Hello David, Yes I have the photo.  I am happy to mail it to you.  Please send me your address.  I assume that Craig found these photos in antique shops in California...but I am not sure.   I know nothing at all about the picture...sorry.   I await your reply.  Connie at Forgotten Old Photos

Thank you Connie, I would love to have the picture. Craig told me that the picture was found in a shop in Sacramento. This is possibly from family old stuff as some members of the family lived in CA including Leon's mother for awhile.

Again, Thank you! And, please, let me know if I can do anything for you.

David in Seattle

I mailed the photo

Dear Connie,

Today your special gift arrived, and I want to thank you so much.

There is a very faint Photographers mark on the back of the picture. I am wondering if you or Karl have seen this and can identify it for me, so I am attaching a scanning of it for your comments.

Leon Godfrey Lewis (Family Search # KG65-H59) was the only son of Hattie Redford and Isaac Lewis. Leon was born in Sprague, Washington in 1882 while Isaac was trying to start a bar-tending business in this new frontier railroad town. Ten years later Hattie divorced Isaac and married Orlando M. Godfrey who was a Railroad Engineer. Leon then assumed his stepfather's last name as his middle name and they lived happily together in Walla Walla, Washington. Leon learned the butchering business and practiced in Walla Walla. He married Nettie Bettey about 1905 and they had 4 children.  Leon died and was buried in Pendleton, Oregon in 1947. He was known around Pendleton as "Tex" and practiced sharpshooting at rodeos and fairs. His sister's husband told me he was well known for his shooting skills.

Thanks Again Connie,

Let me know if this is OK, and what you see in the Photographer's mark/brand

--

David

Here is the scan

Leon008b

Craigs  Leon G Lewis backNumber 1760

And this is from my original scan.  If anyone can figure it out please leave a comment.

Thanks for stopping by.

8 comments:

  1. Saunders and Hend---- some place in Milwaukee?

    You know me and my bad eyes...

    Glad this one made it full circle. Surely someone will figure out the photographer at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I was not seeing the Milwaukee It is Sauders and Hendershot 229 something Milwaukee

      Delete
  2. Found listings in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin, City Directories of 1907 and 1912:

    SAUNDERS & HENDERSHOT, William C Saunders, Charles Hendershot, photographers, 229 Reed [Street]

    http://www.mocavo.com/Milwaukee-City-Directory-1907/726110/1234
    http://www.mocavo.com/Milwaukee-Wisconsin-City-Directory-1912/587405/427

    On the above pages you can also see the listings for William C Saunders home address in Milwaukee:
    "h [=house] 96 Meredith av[enue]"

    Here is a link to the "Wisconsin Photographers Index 1840-1976":
    http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/pdfs/WHI-Wisconsin-Photographers-Index-1840-1976.pdf

    In this list, entries appear for Hendershot and for Saunders, for example:

    page 111: HENDERSHOT, CHARLES in Milwaukee, Milwaukee County; dates active 1906 -?; birthplace ??
    page 228: SAUNDERS, WILLIAM C in Milwaukee, Milwaukee County; dates active 1893 -1920; birthplace IL
    page 228: SAUNDERS & HENDERSHOT in Milwaukee, Milwaukee County; dates active 1901 -1916

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could make nothing of name! Bravo!

    Now what was Leon doing in Milwaukee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think he may have traveled there with his stepfather in about 1891. He visited in Nebraska in 1891. So Milwaukee is possible.

      Delete
    2. Just another note: Photographers started up photo studios and the next year got different work, then the next year they were back to photography again. 1893 Sauders was there he could have been there in 1891 also...:)

      Delete
    3. Just another note: Photographers started up photo studios and the next year got different work, then the next year they were back to photography again. 1893 Sauders was there he could have been there in 1891 also...:)

      Delete
    4. We think he may have traveled there with his stepfather in about 1891. He visited in Nebraska in 1891. So Milwaukee is possible.

      Delete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie