Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Photo Number 479

This photo is from blog reader Janice…she calls her project The Dyer Album.  
She recently purchased a Cabinet Card Album and would like to find relatives if possible. Most of the Photos are Cabinet Cards and most of them are from the Columbus Ohio area. There are only a few clues. There are five photos that are marked with names.
Dyer 15 Urlin and Pfeifer of Columbus Ohio were the photographers. They had lots of awards..the latest being 1887..so this photo was taken sometime after that.  There is a name.
Dyer 15 name
Susie Walcurth or Walcurtt or Waleurth or Waleurtt. (edited to Walcutt)   Susie looks to me to be 15 or 16 years old, she is wearing a black ribbon or choker around her neck, it was popular in the 1880’s.  So we will date this photo at 1887-1888.

Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

Update from Iggy :


The best I can figure, this is Susie Walcutt listed in the 1900 US Census, living in Columbus City, Franklin, Ohio, born Jul 1873 to Robert and Priscilla Walcutt


Gustav Mohr (b. 1873 in Columbus, Ohio) at the age of 27, married Susie Walcutt (b. 1873 in Worthington, Ohio) on 17-Oct-1900 in Columbus, Franklin, Ohio. The parents were, Michael Mohr and (first name not given, nee) Ringhausen for the groom, and Robert Walcutt and Priscella (nee) Baker for the bride.


Update from Janice: 


I'm currently working the theory that her name is Susie Walcutt b. Jul 1873 to Robert and Priscilla. I've found her on the 1880 census at Perry, Franklin, Ohio and on the 1900 census at Columbus, Franklin, Ohio. If this is her I may have found a lead to a relative in an old Bible posting. A Larry Evan Walcutt shared details from a family Bible that was given to him by Susie. I have my fingers crossed that this is she, and that he replies to my email. Even so, I still don't know if the rest of the images are related to her.


This photo went Full Circle 31 on September 02, 2011.

17 comments:

  1. The best I can figure, this is Susie Walarth listed in the 1900 US Census, living in Columbus City, Franklin, Ohio, born Jul 1873 to Robert and Ansalla Walarth.

    Whoever wrote the name on the photo went to the same school to learn (bad) handwriting as I did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.s., I think the name is mispelled in the census record and it might actually be Walearth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another of those wonderful Cabinet Cards where the reverse is just as fantastic as the photograph side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm currently working the theory that her name is Susie Walcutt b. Jul 1873 to Robert and Priscilla. I've found her on the 1880 census at Perry, Franklin, Ohio and on the 1900 census at Columbus, Franklin, Ohio. If this is her I may have found a lead to a relative in an old Bible posting. A Larry Evan Walcutt shared details from a family Bible that was given to him by Susie. I have my fingers crossed that this is she, and that he replies to my email. Even so, I still don't know if the rest of the images are related to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I think Iggy and I are looking at the same person on the 1900 census and that sloppy handwriting and transcription has given us two different names. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree Janet. :)

    The trick will be determining what the actual "correct" name is! I suspect Walcutt and Priscilla are "correct" - I will check with the image of the 1900 census to see if I can decipher the handwriting there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gustav Mohr (b. 1873 in Columbus, Ohio) at the age of 27, married Susie Walcutt (b. 1873 in Worthington, Ohio) on 17-Oct-1900 in Columbus, Franklin, Ohio. The parents were, Michael Mohr and (first name not given, nee) Ringhausen for the groom, and Robert Walcutt and Priscella (nee) Baker for the bride.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Alan, the back of the card has so much going on! Just look at all those awards. Susie herself is pretty and wholesome looking. Notice her glasses are the type that the bridge sits directly on her nose, not using pads to elevate the lenses at all. As I understand 19th century eye wear, the temples should be straight as well, not the rounded ones that go around the back of the ear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog! I gave you the Stylish Blog Award. Check it out: http://djnewbold.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gus(tav) and Susie Mohr did not appear to ever had any children. Census records for 1910 and 1920 show them living alone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finally - Gustav is recorded as August in the 1880 US Census, living in Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio with his father, 3 sisters, 1 brother, and his mother's widowed mother. His mother is not recorded and I presume dead at this time.

    None of August/Gus/Gustav's sisters is a Myrtle. They were Christina, Kattie E., and Lizzie Mohr. The brother's name was Louis.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've found one more lead. The Bible I mentioned earlier is referenced in a Find-A-Grave listing for William Walcutt 1761 - 1833. So, once again, if this Bible is connected to our Susie... The listing is at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=13937595

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a member of "find a grave" and can contact Ellen Walcutt Brown (the person that created this "find a grave" entry for you - if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks - I sent her an email yesterday and am waiting to hear back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Robert Walcutt (b. 1840 in Franklin, Ohio) appears to have been married at least three times - if there is a Dyer in the family it might take some work figuring out where they come in. Pricilla Baker, Achsah Minerva nee Sinock Barnes (who is also remarrying in 1909), Alberta nee Ludwig Reynolds (who is also remarrying in 1915).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got a reply from the gal with the FIND A GRAVE posting. Unfortunately she only concerns herself with the direct line and since Susie would have been off in the cousin pool somewhere she didn't have anything to share, or apparently any interest. I'm still hopeful that I will eventually hear from her nephew, who has been sharing the Bible info in several places online.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Janice..sometimes even close relatives don't want the photos..sad but true.:)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie