Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Photo Number 422

Page 20 in the album is blank.
Page 21..IMG_0768
Cousin can’t recall  name
Page 21 Cousin cant recall her name
This is a Cabinet Card, the photographer was Linder at South Chicago, ILL. I just don’t know about a date on this one 1886?  It looks like she has a bustle of some sort.  The dress looks to me like it is velvet. She appears to be holding some long stemmed roses, she has some kind of fru fru netting around her neck and in the front area of her gown. ..I have not seen anything quite like it.  She is wearing a necklace (I think), earrings, bracelet and perhaps a watch chain which is peeking out of her dress.  Page 21 Cousin cant recall her name
Page 21 Back of photo
This is the back of the cabinet card.
Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)
Update from Norkio: 
She is wearing a small bustle, and the square neckline of her dress was popular during both bustle periods. The net in her neckline is called a fischu and was used to fill the open area. It could be removed for an evening engagement when more skin could be shown, such as at a dinner party.

I'm inclined to think this is from the late bustle period based on the back of the cabinet card. The more elaborate the design on the back, the later in the time frame when they were popular. They peaked in popularity between 1870-1895. I'd say that 1886 or so is a good date for this photo. This lady could be easing away from the natural form and into the later bustle period, or could just prefer a smaller bustle than the "haut couture" demanded.

11 comments:

  1. She is really very pretty. That netting is quite unusual and looks very uncomfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is by far my favorite photo that you have ever posted. She is so beautiful! I love everything about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping to see a full circle this morning - hmmm... I hope all those people didn't forget to send you a thank you email.

    Cousin "I don't remember her name" is very, very pretty. I want to go "back in time" and ask her out on a date.

    Nettie's mother. Isabelle Marian Mccomb, which we have not seen or heard much about, was born about 1844 near New Milford (S. Rockford), Illinois. She had at least 5 sisters and 2 brothers (1850 US census).

    So Nettie L. very likely had some "Chicago relatives" on her mother's side.

    I've absolutely no luck in tracing any of the Parks offsring. They all seem to have dissapeared after 1930.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iggy, I have to be patient and wait for people to contact me..as far as I know no one has received their photo..but some were mailed back in December...it is discouraging..I suppose they will all contact me the same day:(

    Mildred, I had the same thought..as I felt my throat being all itchy from the netting:)

    The Davis Two, I agree..it is a special photo..I have another one of this same woman..we will get to it someday..it was tucked into the back of the album:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW what a gorgeous photo and dress! This is one area I can actually say something to contribute to the conversation. She is wearing a small bustle, and the square neckline of her dress was popular during both bustle periods. The net in her neckline is called a fischu and was used to fill the open area. It could be removed for an evening engagement when more skin could be shown, such as at a dinner party.

    I'm inclined to think this is from the late bustle period based on the back of the cabinet card. The more elaborate the design on the back, the later in the time frame when they were popular. They peaked in popularity between 1870-1895. I'd say that 1886 or so is a good date for this photo. This lady could be easing away from the natural form and into the later bustle period, or could just prefer a smaller bustle than the "haut couture" demanded.

    Norkio

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is absolutely stunning! I haven't had any spare time this week, but will try to do some searching on the Parks family later tonight if my company doesn't stay too late, otherwise I hope to find some time tomorrow. Will it be your intent with this project to return the entire album to a family member when we are done visiting all the photos, or are you thinking that you might send individual photos out? ~Abra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful picture, absolutely stunning. This is definitely one of my favourites. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Abra..Individual photos as the names become more varied. I don't see how just one person could benefit from having the entire album...I think it has to be spread out amongst many people:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it were my family album, I'd pay you big bucks to get my hands on the whole thing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. stunning woman but I think the bustle makes her figure look abnormal...but it was fashion then. this is a beautiful portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful picture. I love this concept, finding the homes of these old photos is a wonderful gesture.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie