Thursday, March 18, 2010

Photo Number 137

This is a photo that I got in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota  at an Antique shop.  It was taken by TM Swem, he was a photographer in Fargo from 1900 to 1913.  I chose this photo because of the different style of the dress..which may actually be a skirt and a blouse that match. The material looks to be some kind of cotton..the one that has little nubby parts on it.  Tomorrow I have a photo with a similar pose..by the same photographer..but a different dress..and a different girl..perhaps they were sisters. We will never know as neither photos are marked.

Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

6 comments:

  1. She looks very natural in front of the camera for such a posed shot. Lovely dress too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you imagine all the ironing that had to be done back then with all the cotton dresses and such. I can't remember what that nubby material is called, but I have worn it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could it have been shantung?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lo, Shantung..I have no idea..I had to look it up..it seems to have more luster to it than this fabric. Shantung also seems fairly expensive. Linen sometimes has this nubby texture, but I don't think that this fabric is totally linen either. To me it looks like cotton..or a blend..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I understand it shantung is a modern silk and wasn't available at the turn of the century, which is when I'm guessing this photo was made. The dress could be linen which was available and very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking at this tonight with an actual computer and not my phone, I can tell that is not shantung silk, and most likely linen. The nubby bits are in a pattern, whereas shantung is random slubs that are smaller.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie