Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Photo Number 722

This is another of Tulla’s photos from an antique shop.
New Hennipin Studio Photo from Tulla
This beautiful young lady has finger waves in her hair.  Finger waves are shaped with your fingers and a comb while your hair is wet.  Some styling gel helps.
She is wearing a frock that has a tier…the fabric must have flowed when she walked.

This photo was most likely taken in the late 1920’s or early 1930’s.  I could not find information on the New Hennepin Studio in Minneapolis Minnesota.  There are no other markings of any kind on the photo. 
Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

*** Recently when I got my hair cut and styled they asked me how I wanted it styled..I replied  “In finger waves.”   She replied “No one has ever asked for them before..but I can give it a whirl.”
Update from Futura:
this photo dates to 1929 or, less likely, 1930.... throughout much of the 1920s, fashion dictated a long, straight, tubular silhouette....by the middle of 1928, the waistline began to creep upward and skirts began to hug the hips ever so gently. While hemlines remained relatively short, panels of fabric were added to the sides or back of skirts to create the illusion of length, all this created a very breezy, feminine form. I like to think of 1928 - 1930 as the era when the flapper grew into a lady.

9 comments:

  1. You also can use waving clips to achieve the same style. I own about a dozen and once we full create the middy look with my hair, my stylist will be teaching me how to make them.

    LOVE this picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this video on Youtube recently that shows how to create the beautiful finger wave bob. It's long but well worth the 9 minutes!

    http://youtu.be/shKq-mkbJCY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my mother diong those waves with clips too. that dress just looks like a traffeta to me. She is a very tendy Miss isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely outfit that the subject seems to wear quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love her outfit, so stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like the sitter or the photographer was influenced by the movies by the way she is posed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this photo dates to 1929 or, less likely, 1930.... throughout much of the 1920s, fashion dictated a long, straight, tubular silhouette....by the middle of 1928, the waistline began to creep upward and skirts began to hug the hips ever so gently. While hemlines remained relatively short, panels of fabric were added to the sides or back of skirts to create the illusion of length, all this created a very breezy, feminine form. I like to think of 1928 - 1930 as the era when the flapper grew into a lady.

    Did you know that in New York, Beauty School students are STILL REQUIRED to create a finger wave during a practical examination in order to receive their beauticians license!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the help with the dress styles! Yes The gals in town at the beauty school must learn how to finger wave too:)

      Delete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie