Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Photo Number 1030

This is a snapshot from 1956.  It is dated on the back June 3 1956.

June 3 1956 DL Antiques

It is from the antique shop in Detroit Lakes Minnesota.

Boy would I like to have lunch there!  Three kinds of cakes, homemade buns in a enamel bowl and assorted salads and maybe potato chips in a Peach  Lusterwear bowl.  I see on the clock that it is 11:45 and almost time for lunch.  I bet this was a Sunday.  I am going to find a 1956 calendar and see if I am right.  Yes.. indeed it was a Sunday.  .  Back in 1956 in the Midwest..family get togethers were always on Sunday. Everyone worked all week, shopped and fixed their hair on Saturday and went to church and someplace for lunch on Sunday afternoon..and if you had an anniversary or a birthday to celebrate..everyone came to your house.

June 3 1956 DL Antiques

I think it says Happy Birthday Mama on that cake.

Thanks for stopping by.  Do come again:)

Yesterday was the Anniversary of Forgotten Old Photos.  Three years and a 1,030 old photos.  Sixty Full Circles and about 94 old photos returned to family!   It has certainly been an adventure!  I thank you all for reading and a special thanks to everyone that leaves comments..especially Iggy who does most of the research and can find almost anyone..but Olsons, Petersons and Johnsons just drive him nuts!

6 comments:

  1. I love your blog, Connie. Congrats on 3 years!
    I love this old photo. It is so reminiscent of family dinners in my old hometown. Now that our family is separated by distance, I miss those family gatherings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If, some how, you make it to that lunch, please stop by and get me. Yummmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary and congratulations. Now let's time travel back to 1957 for some celebratory cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy blogiversary! :)

    Hopefully, with many more to come!

    I was thinking today that it seems like it was just yesterday when you were discussing what numbering system to use once you crossed the thousand-picture barrier. And look at it now, 1030! Where did that month go?

    Better yet--actually the best part in my mind--how 'bout those sixty Full Circles?! So gratifying to know that all those old photos were reunited with family members representing the photo's subject. Oh, how I'd love it if someone found a family picture of one of my ancestors! I can imagine how gratifying that would be.

    And yes, kudos to Iggy for his consistent--and amazing--online search prowess. He continually amazes with his finds. And sometimes it takes a team to get those pictures back home again.

    Best wishes for many more years of reuniting these old treasures with their family homes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your blog. My day starts with coffee, emails and then Far Side. May you never tire of doing this. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie