Sunday, May 8, 2011

Photo Number 527

Happy Mothers Day to all the Mom’s out there!  Today we will have a photo of a Nurse holding a baby..perhaps a Nurse maid..and the babies mother. New Baby and Nurse and Mom DL
New baby and nurse and mom back
Taken Friday July 14, 1905 
Baby 3 weeks old
#11 South 11th Street
Easton Pa
New baby and nurse and mom back
Miss T. Garve nurse
Mrs. Frank Hazzard
and daughter Helen? or Helena it is hard to read 
age 3 weeks
Well we have a couple of names and a date and a city..

Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

Update from Abra:
This the first thing I've found. We know that Helen's father is no longer in the picture by 1920, as mother is married to Jacob Weldon. We also see household member Agnes Myers, listed as sister-in-law to head of household (Jacob), so we can deduce this is Catherine Weldon's sister (parents born in same country). Here are is the information on Helen. I will find more, I am sure.

Name: Helen Hazzard
Home in 1920: Philadelphia Ward 33, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Age: 15
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1905
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Relation to Head of House: Step Daughter
[Stepdaughter]
Father's Birth Place: Pennsylvania
Mother's name: Catherine Weldon
Mother's Birth Place: Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Sex: Female
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Household Members: Name & Age
Jacob Weldon 39 (stepfather)
Catherine Weldon 33 (mother)
Helen Hazzard 15
Thomas Hazzard 13 (brother)
Margaret Hazzard 9 (sister)
Agnes Myers 26 (aunt)

11 comments:

  1. such beautiful images from yesteryear - just magnificent - thanks so much for sharing - there is just something so - well, i'm not sure what - but ethereal, perhaps, of old photographs -

    have a glorious day!

    jenean

    ReplyDelete
  2. This the first thing I've found. We know that Helen's father is no longer in the picture by 1920, as mother is married to Jacob Weldon. We also see household member Agnes Myers, listed as sister-in-law to head of household (Jacob), so we can deduce this is Catherine Weldon's sister (parents born in same country). Here are is the information on Helen. I will find more, I am sure.

    Name: Helen Hazzard
    Home in 1920: Philadelphia Ward 33, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Age: 15
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1905
    Birthplace: Pennsylvania
    Relation to Head of House: Step Daughter
    [Stepdaughter]
    Father's Birth Place: Pennsylvania
    Mother's name: Catherine Weldon
    Mother's Birth Place: Pennsylvania
    Marital Status: Single
    Race: White
    Sex: Female
    Able to read: Yes
    Able to Write: Yes
    Household Members: Name & Age
    Jacob Weldon 39 (stepfather)
    Catherine Weldon 33 (mother)
    Helen Hazzard 15 (sister)
    Thomas Hazzard 13 (brother)
    Margaret Hazzard 9
    Agnes Myers 26 (aunt)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I mixed that list up. Margaret is the sister (Helen can't be a sister to herself).

    Here is the family in 1910, living in Philadelphia Ward 19, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:
    Household Members: Name & Age
    Hanry Hazzard 28
    Catherine Hazzard 25
    Helen Hazzard 6
    Thomas Hazzard 4

    I also found a family tree and will be sending a message to the owner to check out your page. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! What an extraordinary picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was packing for a business trip out of town - when I saw this photo and thought to myself, #11 South 11th Street...is that someone's home? and when I looked, sure enough it is one of several row homes on the block. I guess that means the new born was home with her mother and nurse.

    I quickly looked to see if there was any obvious "Helen Hazzard"s in the census and didn't see one. Just back to the office today and I see Abra has done her magic.

    :) Easton is in Northampton County and is a fair distance from Philadelphia - I wasn't sure this family was the one - since the photo is labeled Mrs. Frank (and not Mrs. Henry/Hanry).

    I cannot find a better match however. Easton is on the Delaware River and mere stone's throw from New Jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've found a Frank A. and Norma E. Hazzard living in Easton, PA listed in the 1900 US Census showing them without children at that time. Frank is shown as a "Receiver Transit Company" (which is unremarkable as there are dozens of transit firms in Easton at this time). The 1910 US census shows the couple with son Frank N Hazzard living in Palmer, PA (home of the Lehigh Valley RR feight yards). The 1920 US census shows the couple living in Northampton County with daughter Elizabeth. It appears Frank N. passed away before age 12.

    I've no proof - but I think Helen probably died as an infant - and that is why she doesn't appear in Northampton in 1910.

    Daughter Elizabeth recently passed away:

    http://articles.mcall.com/1997-04-28/news/3148998_1_salvation-army-office-clerk-school-teacher

    The family were members of the First Presbyterian Church, Easton PA and perhaps Helen is buried there. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, my previous comments got "poof'ed" so I won't bother restating what I said.

    I think the nurse's name might be "I. Garis."

    Garis (or Garris) is a fairly common one in the Easton area. I'm not sure about that mysterious first initial but am guessing it is an "I" - for Irene or Ida.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you happen to have a family tree? I believe im related to Helen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley The only info I have is what appears here on the blog.

      Delete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie