Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Photo Number 258

This is a cabinet card.  It is most likely a photo of two sisters.  I am curious if anyone knows what the lighter colored ribbons signify..if anything.  I thought they might be bonnet ties...but I am not sure.  Louis Olson was the photographer at Fertile, Minnesota.  Fertile is such a little tiny town I was surprised that they ever had a photographer.
The gowns seem similar, perhaps they were traveling gowns as their sleeves seem to be a bit more practical.  I found the trim on both sides of the jacket to be interesting.  I will guess that this photo was taken around 1890.
Thanks for stopping by, do come again..I am a bit late today..I was off picking raspberries:)

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful girls and clothes. I hope someone can tell us about the ribbons.
    Your raspberries sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a wild theory for you - to me these girls look like twins and the ribbons might just be "right shoulder" and "left shoulder" to tell them apart... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking they looked like twins also. I can't think of another reason two ladies would be dressed in such identical clothing. The buttons on their bodices are interesting. There was a similar style popular in the 1860s with the center fabric being a contrast color, making it look like a waistcoat under a jacket. That may be the case here, that the fabric colors are in contrast or at least different. I also venture to guess they are either young and not far into puberty yet, or very flat chested, as the corsets of the day gave at least a little bosom to a woman, even an A cup woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iggy comes up with some brilliant ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ribbons do look strange but I am sure there is a reason behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We share a love of Cabinet Cards. Yours is a wonderful example.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just received many pictures from a cousin in Fertile MN. I have no idea who they are. Would you like me to email them to you to add to your collection? 6 have Louis Olson Fertile MN, 1 has A. T. Holand Grand Foorks ND, 1 has S.Larsen Extra Finish Fertile MN.
    jaeoverland@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie