Saturday, August 13, 2011

Photo Number 623

This is a photo from the Antique Shop in Park Rapids Minnesota.

Pr Antiques Cords of wood

Someone cut just a few cords of wood.

The barn in the background looks like it has one of those milk house additions off to the side and a Grainery is off to the right.  A milk house addition would have been built onto the barn so that you would have a reasonably clean place to separate milk and cream in a milk separator and a place to wash up all your separator parts.  We also kept the bucket and rags there that we used to wash up the cows teats with, and the teat medications and a container of Bag Balm sat in the window.  An old coffee can held the white papers that went into the milk strainer.  When we used milking machines all the milkers were washed in this room and set upside down to dry and the milker parts were all washed up morning and night.  ( If you cannot tell, I grew up on a farm, and I was in charge of the milk cows during the summer, first milking four cows by hand into a milk pail and then with automatic milking machines when the herd got larger.  I was also in charge of clean up.  I did not mind barn work..I liked it much better than house work.)

Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

5 comments:

  1. I love this photo. I also enjoyed reading about your barn work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great photo. A lot of work went into cutting all that wood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo!
    I worked on a dairy farm many years ago for a very short time, but long enough so that I know exactly what you were talking about. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The barn is the same style as Midboe's barn - but it doesn't appear to be the same barn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sure explains your work ethic. My elder siblings always did the milking and they all thought I was spoiled being the youngest. I'm sure I was by the standards of our household.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie