Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Photo Number Eighty-One

This elderly couple look foreign to me..the photo folder has rifles on it. The photographer was ? G. Crawford, I did a quick search and found nothing that seemed to fit.  I love the kindly looking Grandpa's  hair.. I will guess that this is a 1930's photo.  This is still in the group of photos from South Dakota.
Thanks for stopping!  Do come again:)
Update** This is possibly Patrick and Mary Walls?? Will we ever know for sure? 
 Info from Abra:  
A little further research finds Mary Walls, widowed, age 50, in 1900, living in Tampico, Whiteside , Illinois. Her daughters, Agness (sic), 21, and May (sic), 19, are living with her, as well as a niece, Anna Murphy, age 16. The census shows that she is the mother to 4 children, of which 2 are living. Again, the ages are off compared to 1910 census, but Agnes’ age in 1900, matches up with what I found in 1920 & 1930. More searching reveals finds Mary Walls(28), married to Patrick Walls(34), living in Hahnaman. They have two children at this point, Ambrose age 4 and Agness, age 2, as well as a servant, Daniel Callehan (there are close neighbors with the Callehan surname, as well). Patrick is listed as a farmer. I find Patrick, age 23, living in Browning, Schuyler County, Illinois, occupation of R.R. hand (there were a lot of RR hands living in this particular neighborhood). The only thing I can’t explain with all of this is what the ‘uniforms & pins’ are for on the clothing in Mr. & Mrs. Walls previous photo.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like they both have several pins on their lapels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a no nonsense couple to me. LOL
    Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the most interesting photos yet. Her outfit almost looks like a service uniform with a lace collar added. I hope someone with period clothing knowledge can explain this. One of her pins looks like a Red Cross pin, another a flag; the rest I couldn't make out. He seems to have less pins and I couldn't determine what they were, even zoomed to 400%. With the folder with guns & an eagle on top, I am thinking that perhaps they are both veterans--my uneducated guess is that perhaps she was a nurse in the war? So many possibilities, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed the medals too and agree with Abra. There is a pin on the man's lapel that looks like a medical corps pin - the snake around the staff - which is the lowest of his pins on his lapel. That in conjunction with her "cross" pin, which looks to be a Red Cross pin, also suggests they were in a medical corps of some kind. There are so many though, and without a date or knowing what war they participated in, it's nearly impossible to figure out easily. Military insignia tends to change every campaign or action. I also wonder if there is a reason the right shoulder of her lace collar has something on it but the left shoulder doesn't. Perhaps it's something she worked herself?

    The photog name is G Crawford, the G in script is hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to remember what those collars are called -- the lady is wearing

    My great grandmother's photos ... she is wearing one in every picture I've seen.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie