Thursday, January 21, 2010

Photo Number Eighty-Eight

This is a "gem" tin type, very small about the size of a postage stamp.  I do not even begin to understand the camera that was used..I do find the process interesting!  Gems were made by using a multi lens camera with a repeating back.  They could copy the image onto the entire plate..so that many of these little gems could be made at one time..and used in carte de vistes (calling cards) ..or jewelry.


Norkio wrote: The image of the man is the smallest.  The image size is less than 1" with a bit more inside the card.  His was damaged by water but the actual plate is not in bad shape, except for a chip on it.  The tin types were all found in a trunk belonging to a deceased relative of my friend's friend.  It is unknown who the people are or even where some of the images were made.


I want to thank Norkio for emailing me these tin types..it has been very interesting to venture into this area of photography!
Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of that before. It is really an interesting how they tried to duplicate so they could sell more. I bet the originals would be sought after by collectors.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie