Sunday, July 17, 2011

Photo Number 597

A different family..and a slightly different summer scene.

Summer somewhere  hats The men seem very relaxed. The women not so much. The straw hat or “boaters” as they were often called were very popular in the late 1800’s and the early 1900’s.  They were worn by men on the weekend..the “boaters” may have been worn boating or just on a relaxing weekend in the country. Boaters were made of woven straw and had a hat ribbon around them ( this was called a Nostro.)  We can thank the Italians for these hats, their Gondoliers originally wore them.

Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Connie, Far Guy and Chance, This is a fun photo; I love the hats. Wonder why the one lady looks so defiant with her arms crossed? Mildred

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting difference between the women and the men. I picked up a couple of antique photos yesterday, for my collection. I usually stick with babies, children and am thrilled when a dog or cat is with them. I did find one of a woman and a cow and couldn't resist even though she was out of my usual age range for collecting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think the women look defiant. They are probably pooped from having to prepare a picnic for the men folk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this picture. I wonder if it is Mom Dad and the kids?
    I have a lot of family photos like these. Most have no written info on them. I know they are family but have no idea who.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The oldest dude looks like a lawyer to me....

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie