Sunday, February 16, 2014

Photo Number 1490

This is a photo from Craig’s Collection.
Aunt Lydia and Uncle Jim  Atlamta Iowa CP
Lewis was the photographer in Atlantic IA
Aunt Lydia and Uncle Jim  Atlanta Iowa backCP
Aunt Lydia  Uncle Jim Hairis ??  Harris Atlantic Iowa
The last name is really hard to see.  This photo was most likely taken around 1900.
Thanks for stopping by.  Do come again.

Update from Jacqi:
If it is Harris, there was a James and Lydia Harris from Pymosa, Cass County, in Iowa in the 1900 census. However, he was about 74 years of age by then. That couple got married in 1857.

That James Harris died in 1912 and was buried in Atlantic Cemetery, along with his wife, Lydia. James was first married to Elizabeth Lamb she died in 1854 shortly after giving birth to Wilson Lamb Harris.  James married Lydia in October of 1856.  James died from an accidental gunshot wound. 

Check out this link: It is good reading and this photo is found there.  So we have a positive ID! 

http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Harris-5053

From Jackie:
James Harris's profile on WikiTree  Karl -  Good evening from the frozen tundra in Iowa. You can't imagine how happy your post made me!  James Austin Harris is my third great grand uncle. I descend from the Harris family through his brother Barnabus "Barney" Arthur Harris. The picture you see on my wikitree is what a cousin sent me for inclusion, but neither of us have the full photo. The Harris's were a family that seemed to believe in a lot of photos except for James (there is only one other of him that I know of) and another brother who joined the U.S. Cavalry during the civil war and was killed in an Indian fight while serving at Fort Laramie at the end of the war. (I am lucky on him in that another cousin did send me a copy of the one photo we know of in existence for him.  I would love to receive that photo - and of course
reimburse for costs. And I would also love to know where it was found. The Harris clan and the Peacock clan intermarried several times with several of the Peacocks moving to Minnesota. My guess is that may have been how it might have migrated there. (I am guessing as to where it was found after taking a look at the webpage.)  And by the way - I can't remember who it was on that page that was complimentary of the Wiki writeup - but that just made my day. When I started the Wiki it was my intent to put some meat on the bones of the family members that I could find. Apparently this page succeeded a bit - and for that I am grateful.  Let me know what information you need - or feel free to pass along my address. I really appreciate you making the effort to contact me.  Jackie

10 comments:

  1. Nice wedding photos on your header in honor of Valentine's Day, I guess.

    In this photo, it's good to see older people continuing to take "couples photos."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, that collar on the Mrs. looks uncomfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lady does look a tad ill! Love his shoes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! A rocking chair. Lovely!

    Wish the surname wasn't so indistinct. If it is Harris, there was a James and Lydia Harris from Pymosa, Cass County, in Iowa in the 1900 census. However, he was about 74 years of age by then. That couple got married in 1857.

    That James Harris died in 1912 and was buried in Atlantic Cemetery, along with his wife, Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Harris-5053

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link..it is our same photo. How does that Wiki Tree work? Can we contact the person that did the listing??

      Delete
    2. I left the owner of the tree a message.

      Delete
  6. It is a classic portrait of elders from out on the prairie. Neat chair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've dropped a note to one of you who contacted me and yes, that is indeed James Austin Harris. The Harris clan is quite colorful and I have enjoyed putting together some of the WikiTree pages on them - one of which you found. I continue to work on those pages and it was the help of people like you that I have been able to put more meat on the bones of the Harris clan than we had earlier. The partial photo you spotted on my wiki was a scan sent to me by a cousin. Coming up with the actual photos has been somewhat difficult. Thanks for finding this! - Jackie King, Ames, Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mailed this photo today to Jackie! March 4th 2014

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie