Thursday, September 11, 2014

Photo Number 1685

This is a Real Photo Postcard from the antique shop in Detroit Lakes  Solway Minnesota.
It has turned cold here…time for winter coats.
WM Digerman PostcardAzo triangles up Solway
WM Digerman Postcard back Solway
W.M. Digerman ??  (Degerman) Did not have a turkey so this will have to do.  Send us a card in exchange.
This postcard would have been used from 1904 to 1918.
Thanks for stopping by.
Update from Sue:
There is a Ole William Degerman that resided and died in the Bemidji area. Is it possible that the W. M. was just one person's interpretation of how to write William? Ole William Degerman was born 1876 in Sweden and died 1956 in Beltrami county. 
This photo went Full Circle 134 on December 1 2015.

7 comments:

  1. I wonder who W. M. Digerman was - it is a rather unusual name. I suspect it is a mangling of Di Jerman, De Jerman - which is Swedish (I think).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there are plenty of people out there with that surname in genealogical databases--including several from Swedish birth records--but no one with a first initial "W" that I could find. I'm sure he--or she--is out there. Would be nice to know the names those initials represent. Oh, well...another mystery...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I saw the surname in Ancestry.com but as you said, none with the initials given. Most of the entries appear to be from two families, neither of which were near-ish Minnesota. In any event, I'm stumped :)

    There are no Digermans in Find A Grave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't sure when looking at this if the name is that of the intended recipient or the man in the photo. Also, since the i is not dotted in the last name, could it actually be an e? There is a Ole William Degerman that resided and died in the Bemidji area. Is it possible that the W. M. was just one person's interpretation of how to write William? Ole William Degerman was born 1876 in Sweden and died 1956 in Beltrami county.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been doing some digging on my family history and came across this post. I'm almost positive that is my great grandpa Ole William Degerman! He did go by Bill or William (and abbreviated W.M). I don't have a good photo of what he looked like, but I do have one of my great grandma Arlie (William's wife) and that looks just like her! She has my grandpa's eyes. They did live in Bemidji. So fun that you found a photo of my family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura , I am happy to mail you the photo. Please contact me by email. My email can be found in my profile. Click on the yellow flower! :)

      Delete
  6. I mailed this photo to Laura November 23 2015

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie