Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Photo Number 736

Here is another snowy photo.  This is from the Antique Shop in Solway.

Snow drifts

I can remember snow drifts like these on the country roads in the 1950’s in Minnesota.  It was like driving through a tunnel.

snowdrifts two

These snow drifts are over a mile long and places as high as ten feet.

This photo has the same handwriting as the one on Monday so I will say that these snow banks were in between Ada and Crookston Minnesota.

Last Monday Nancy asked : I'm curious: do you have any idea how the roads were plowed and the snow piled on the side?
My uncle in South Dakota was hired by the State to plow the highway to the state line (about 10 miles). He used a team of horses.

I have also heard of teams of horses being used.  I have several photographs of my relatives and an early snowplow..the snow was so deep that a crew of guys had to help shovel in front of the snowplow.  The photographs are not very good..but here they are. My Grandfather and my Uncles are in this old photo.

scan0057 copy

 

snow removal copy

When I was little in the 1950’s we had a driveway that was very  long, my Dad would shovel the entire driveway by hand early in the morning or late at night.

Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

4 comments:

  1. Those guys in the "olden days" were in good shape and no wonder they could eat real food like sugar and butter like it was going out of style!

    Now to decide if I would shovel snow for hours in exchange for being able to eat a half dozen dunkin' donuts...

    Umm.... No... I don't think so...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, for posting photos of clearing the roads. I can't even imagine shoveling an entire driveway by hand - our ancestors were strong and determined individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I live in California!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie