Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Photo Number 647

This is a CdV from the antique shop in Detroit Lakes Minnesota.
Points on skirt CdV DL Antiques
The skirt has a lot going on..points, pleats, rouching and most likely a bustle at the back.
I was going to date it in the 1880’s.
Points on skirt back
Then I found that the photographer W. McHenry was at No. 15 Stephenson Street in Freeport Illinois in the year 1878.

I was happy to find this out.  I have a very similar chair in the Historical Museum where I work, so that dates the chair from before 1878..cool.  The colors in the needlepoint museum chair are burgundy, gold and cream.

Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

Fashionable Update from Whowerethey:
I think this might not be a bustle dress but in fact a natural form dress. The bodice was longer during the natural form era, which ran from '77 to '85, so having this photo made in '78 would be in the time frame. This poor lady has terrible posture.

4 comments:

  1. That is one very ornate chair. the woman looks like she is slouching from the weight of the fancy dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ornate!" That's the very word that came to my mind too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great old photo. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this might not be a bustle dress but in fact a natural form dress. The bodice was longer during the natural form era, which ran from '77 to '85, so having this photo made in '78 would be in the time frame. This poor lady has terrible posture.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie