Friday, November 6, 2009

Photo Number Sixteen


Five Girls
It appears to me that these young ladies have been playing stick-ball..I wonder if they are sisters?  Or Friends?  I love the big old bows in their hair.  This photo is on very thin paper,  perhaps it wasn't a photo worthy of mounting on the heavy card stock.  I am thinking that this one was taken right around 1900.
Thanks for stopping by!   Come again! :)
*** Norkio dated this photo between 1908 and 1915..she also mentions that they could be doing yard work. 

4 comments:

  1. Interesting photo. That one standing on the left looks a little rough. I am not sure I would have wanted to meet up with her in a stick ball game. She just might use the stick to beat someone with. Maybe she is just mad because she has to wear that big old bow on her head. I would be grumpy too if someone put one of those on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Rae - that girl on the left looks like some of the bullys I went to school with!! I just saw a group of elderly ladies at the tea room dressed in their red & purple and several women had these big red bows in their hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have pictures of my gram and her sister with these types of bows in their hair. They were girls in the 1910s so my guess is this picture was taken between 1908 and 1915. The woman in the middle has the definite "pigeon breast" look that was popular at the turn of the century. She may have worn that style for a few years until a new one came along she liked. I was thinking the stick looks like a broom or rake handle. Maybe they were doing yard work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This picture reminds me of some that I have of my grandma--not the bows so much as the circle of friends--strong, independant women. ~Abra

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie