Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Photo Number 1372

This is a Cabinet Card from the antique shop in Brainerd Minnesota.

Cabinet Card Bertha Rorlawg Teacher Brainerd antiques

Cabinet Card Bertha Rorlawg Teacher Brainerd antiques back

Davies of Alexandria Minn was the photographer.

Presented to Dorthea Pederson for having the most headmarke in her class.  Bertha Rorlaug/Borlaug? Teacher

Cabinet Card Bertha Rorlawg Teacher Brainerd antiques back

I had no luck finding the photographer.  I will guess that this photo was taken in the early 1880’s, her skirt has a pleated edge, and more than likely a bustle, her jacket is tight fitting and is trimmed with many buttons and also has a high white collar.  She is wearing a pair of dark fingerless gloves.

Thanks for stopping by.  Do come again:)

6 comments:

  1. It's a gorgeous photo. I know she was very proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I think it is a way of saying that she made the most progress...but I am not certain:)

      Delete
  3. So, do you suppose this is a photo of the teacher? Or the student? I'm presuming the teacher.

    Her handwriting seems variable. I wonder if that isn't "headmarks" and she just couldn't form the letter "s" well at the edge of the card. If it weren't for the fact that she wrote her "n" so carefully in "presented," I'd think that was an "n" in her last name, too. That was the style in writing for a while for the letter "n"--often looked more like a "u." Come to think of it, her "n" in Pederson looked different from the first one, too. Who knows...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to concede that this one has me licked. I am unable to find any of the three - Bertha, Dor(o?)thea, or even the photographer.

      Delete
  4. Very attractive photo. I can't help but to imagine how constricted and hot she must have been... I guess they were used to it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie