Thursday, June 27, 2013

Photo Number 1266

This is a snapshot  from a antique shop in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Wedding snapshot October 21 1944 Winnipeg Antiques

It had a date written on the back.  October 21, 1944.

Wedding snapshot October 21 1944 Winnipeg Antiques

The groom wears a three piece suit, a white shirt and a tie.  He also sports a boutonniere.  The bride wears a white gown with long sleeves and what appears to be a train still back in the doorway and a veil that has a headpiece that looks like huge ears.  She also wears a string of pearls and carries a bouquet of Calla Lilies.

Thanks for stopping by.  Do come again:)

8 comments:

  1. Her headpiece is most unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I a-wonder whats-a the guy is sayin'.

    :) Calgary? You went far to get this photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Winnipeg..or Winterpeg as some people call it! It is a six hour drive from our place..and we have kids that live along the way. The last time we were up there was Fall of 2011..Winnipeg is a great town:)

      Delete
  3. It looks like he is playing an invisible violin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like my grandma's wedding bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you should mention ears, because the first think I thought about was Mickey Mouse. :) I also noticed her short hair, which I thought was unusual as a style for women back then. The guy looks like he's about to break out into a Fred Astaire dance. :) I hope they lived long and happy lives together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not unusual at all. If anything, the long hairstyles were unusual (think Veronica Lake). Short haircuts and styles made things a lot easier for setting as women would set their hair nightly. One of the three main haircuts of the period was a short haircut, the top of the three being a middy cut. The baby (the shortest) was 4 inches long at the longest point. The longest was referred to as a long middy. When the hair was set, the curls would naturally shorten. I set my in pin curls (as was popular in the day) quite often and my hair (which is cut in a modified middy) is just past my shoulders at the longest point. When I brush the set out, it's just under my ears. I also have pictures of my grandmother with a very short haircut dating all the way back to 1937.

      Hope that helps. :)

      Delete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie