Thursday, March 29, 2012

Photo Number 832

This is the last photo that was taken at East Glacier.  I was delighted to find all three of these photo at the first antique shop in Dorset Minnesota.

Glacier two Dorset 1

This is the staff from the hotel dining room at East Glacier.  Note the first gal in the front row on the left.  She has on a pair of the slippers that the waitresses favored.  The gal next to her has a pair of oxfords on.  Apparently there was quite an uproar among the waitresses when the Hotels policy dictated more sensible shoes.  This photo may have been taken later than the previous photos..perhaps in the late 1930’s.

The dining room featured hostesses in native and oriental garb.  The waitresses Swiss costumes were worn until the late 1930’s.  One source says that the waitresses wore slippers but that was changed in 1937 to oxfords.

Glacier two Dorset 1 back

I have been in the Hotel at East Glacier, in the lobby and the gift shop, it was an awesome place even back in the 1970’s.  We hiked in this area and it is where I saw my first Glacier. I wish I had paid closer attention to the building, and I wish we had stopped for lunch in the dining room!

Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

4 comments:

  1. Love this photo and the info provided!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute outfits! I like the one dude's bowtie. :)

    I wonder if the hotel has any employee records... Oy, my head hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you should post this for Sepia Saturday this weekend - the theme is work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to work there just so I can wear one of those fabulous outfits! Actually, I'd love to visit Glacier anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie