Thursday, November 4, 2010

Photo Number 362

Gone with the wind dress three Solway
This is the last of my “Gone with the Wind” photos for now.  I got this one up at Solway. It was a dollar.  Bob and Cheryl run a little Antique /Junk shop in an old dilapidated garage in Solway, MN during the summer.  They gave me their home phone number just in case I want to look at any photos during the winter…I just need to give them a call and they will open up no matter what the weather is like. I have been there three times during the summer..each time I find something different and unique.  One day it was real warm and his wife came over with ice cream bars..they are a friendly couple.
Anyway back to the photo..
Gone with the wind dress three Solway  What do suppose the things sewn to or hanging from her shoulders were.  What do they mean?  Perhaps they are just an adornment?  She is a lovely young lady!  I will date this photo about 1870.
This is a CdV or a Cartes d’ Visite that is about 2 1/2 inches by 4 inches..and they were often used as visiting or calling cards.  There were albums that some people purchased to keep their CdV’s in.  I ran onto one for sale..unfortunately it was too expensive for me to purchase, I will keep looking!

Tomorrow we will begin about ten days of photographs of Soldiers.

Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)
 
Update from Norkio about the trim on this dress:
The trim is just that - trim. It looks like it is attached at three points to the shoulder seam - in the front, at the top of the shoulder and in the back. At first I thought they were epaulettes, but I can't see any shadow indicating a separate sleeve cap or anything like that. The dress is very plain, she may have been coming out of mourning and allowed some adornment, or simply loved a certain color of fabric and didn't have much trim. This appears to be an 1860s dress, maybe 1865-1868 is my guess.
Thanks Norkio..you expertise on these dresses is appreciated!! 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for clearing up the CdV mystery!I wonder how many of them I have let slip thru my fingers without knowing what they were at a shop or sale?
    This young lady looks so solemn in her photo. My thought on her shoulder adornment is that they are just that, ribbon trim to add something to her rather plain dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a beauty. I love the chair/table too. How kind to find folks that will let you browse at your convenience. Sounds like a fun way to spend an afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to visit that shop. Sounds like such a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The trim is just that - trim. It looks like it is attached at three points to the shoulder seam - in the front, at the top of the shoulder and in the back. At first I thought they were epaulettes, but I can't see any shadow indicating a separate sleeve cap or anything like that. The dress is very plain, she may have been coming out of mourning and allowed some adornment, or simply loved a certain color of fabric and didn't have much trim. This appears to be an 1860s dress, maybe 1865-1868 is my guess.

    Norkio

    ReplyDelete
  5. It may be just trim, but it sure looks like inverted PFC stripes to me. {Private First Class} I would bet she had a brother or sweetheart in the war, or who had died in that war.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have to agree with Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie