Saturday, August 14, 2010

Photo Number 282

Kid on pony

I purchased this photo at a local garage sale, I wonder if this child got a new pony or if a photographer came through town with a pony all decked out and took photographs of kids on his pony.   Note the child has no shoes on.  The building in the background is covered in a very familiar tar paper design.

Tar paper was used as a covering on some buildings and homes.  At my house when I was a child we had an entrance to our basement on the outside of the house and it was covered in this same tar paper. Tar paper kept the moisture off of the wood and kept a building from rotting away.

Thanks for stopping by, do come again:)

8 comments:

  1. That pony is dressed up like the old country singer, Porter Waggoner! What a cute little boy. I remember that same tar paper too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten about that covering. It was poor man's solution, a step up from plain tar paper. I really like the little pony dutifully standing there as a prop. Neat find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our entire house was covered with plain tar paper until the mid-60s when we got aluminum siding. Once we got the siding the red-headed woodpeckers left our house alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a jaunty angle to his hat. I'm guessing it was the roving photographer. What a thrill though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm guessing it's a traveling photog with a pony. An old friend of mine who grew up in the 50s talked about this happening here where we live. The kids would run out of the house to have their photo taken on the pony - probably why this little guy has no shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never saw Porter Wagoner with a pony - only with Dolly Parton :)

    He's a cute little (and very happy) kid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s., I've seen the same "ugly" tar paper too - I guess it was considered "high tech" in its time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have pics of my mom & her sister on horses like this one...I think it is cute..

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie