Sunday, December 13, 2009

Photo Number Fifty-Four

I call this one "Family Gathering"   there are about thirty people in this photograph..this photo is very worn and faded.  I restored it to the best of my ability for now.   I love old Farmhouses like this one, the upstairs and the front porch..I will guess that this is a photo from around 1920. This house has some gingerbread trim on the porch.. a trim that I personally find very interesting.

Well thanks to Abra and her sleuthing around at an ancestry site when she can't sleep at night..we have our first success!!  Photo Number Fifty-One!!  Armed with the info that Abra gave me,   I did a search for the name she gave me and viola!  I found a newspaper article.. I just happened to have a phone book of that area.  The first person I called was the right guy.  I am sure he thought I was nuts..and sometimes I am a little nutty!  I spoke with his wife..they now have my phone number and we will meet with them sometime soon so that some of these photos can be with the people that will appreciate them the most..their families!  What a Christmas gift this is for me..my whacky idea actually worked. I hope that they will tell me more about Grace and Esther..if they do I will add the information to their photographs.
Thanks for stopping by,  do come again:)

12 comments:

  1. That is exciting that Abra's info led to finding relatives of the pictures. I look forward to reading about your meeting with them. I love this group photo. We have many old photos similar from when my dad's family would have big family reunions. I only wish they had listed the names of those present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fantastic news. You are far from whacky. This was an excellent idea and a very caring one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what propeled me to write my book
    "Buckskin Bessie and her lost letters" but mine was tossed out letter along with photos.....Great adventure:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was only too happy to help, Connie!! I am excited that you will be able to share what you have found with the family of the subjects. Perhaps they will recognize some of the other photos that have not been identified. Hopefully the photos will now seem significant enough that they will never be lost again!

    As for today's photo, I too have a few like this, without any names or reason for the event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, am anxious to read more about Esther and Grace; just make sure to tell us when you have added the information to their photo pages. Hopefully, you'll find families for all of your photos. Would that be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is wonderful news. I love that she managed to figure out the name. Looking forward to seeing the results.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Connie: I think this would make a great special interest story for a local newspaper--it is a fun hobby you've turned into a mission of reunification. The family receiving these pictures is very, very lucky!! Just like Changes in the Wind, I am working on a project with some discarded finds, that while not as extensive as "Buckskin Bessie," may turn in to a published piece somewhere down the road. I definitely want to read Buckskin Bessie and her lost letters--looks fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That house looks like the ones that they build with only six or six and a half foot ceilings. Our kitchen in our old house was a low one and I cold jump and touch it when I was a young lad. Nice photo and nice story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great project, and it's exciting that you are in touch with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That really is great that you will be meeting the family. It's like taking a long lost family member home. Awesome! About today's picture, I'd date it a little earlier, maybe 1900-1910. The adult women are wearing skirts and blouses, with the skirt length to the floor. Even though some women didn't follow fashion, skirts were getting shorter for all women by the 20s. The kids clothes are fairly typical of late 19th century togs, but the styles lasted well into the 20th century. Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just wonderful news.
    Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful that a picture could be traced back to a family member! We go to a LOT of estate sales and auctions and frequently there are boxes full of pictures with no family to retrieve them. I am always sad that they are being sold to strangers and not family. I usually buy an of children that I can buy because I collect those, especially of babies in antique carriages, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie