Sunday, November 22, 2009

Photo Number Thirty -Two


This is a carte de visite or visiting card or CdV for short. The entire card  is 2 and 1/2 inches by 4 inches.  Apparently they were popular from 1860 to the 1900's.  Kind of like personal trading cards!
The photographer  W J Bennetts   Camborne and Hayle is from Camborne, Cornwall,  England.
I found it interesting that one of the hits I had on this name was a W J Bennetts that was from Camborne that went through New York City with other Cornish people in September of 1913..he was on his way to Evelyth, Minnesota.   This photograph came from a local antique shop.
This man has very kind eyes...I wonder if he came to American..or if his card just visited here:)
Thanks for stopping, do come again!

2 comments:

  1. I was surprised when I enlarged - he is older than I first thought judging by the creases around his eyes and forehead. He does have pretty eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I had never heard of a photo visiting card. That is unique. This is a lot of fun to see the way things were.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for the comments, your input on these old photos is appreciated! English only please! All comments will be moderated! Connie